|Mayor Yepsen presents Wellspring with resolution proclaiming October DV Awareness Month|
- in the US we average 20 acts of violence per minute
- 10 million victims each year; and
- domestic violence accounts for 15% of violent crime.
I provided some local data from Saratoga County:
- Domestic violence is the #2 violent crime in our county
- Depending on the year it is either the #1 or #2 cause of homicide, and
- It is also the primary reason for family homelessness in our county.
We're working to increase awareness, help people in need get services before a crisis, and engaging our community to create social change so that no man, woman, or child lives in fear at home. You can be part of that change by:
- Ask Wellspring staff to come and speak at your workplace or community group about our services and how you can be involved
- Volunteering- We have new volunteer opportunities assisting the agency with outreach and prevention activities
- Helping us to spread the word- Share interesting articles or talk with friends about why you care about domestic violence. Silence Hides Violence- let's break the silence.
"Even one domestic violence victim is one too many."
Mayor Joanne Yepsen