- Go to a safe place
- Avoid showering, bathing, eating, drinking, or urinating so that evidence can be collected in case you choose to report the crime to police.
- Save the clothing you were wearing during the assault.
- Do not disturb the crime scene.
- Seek medical help at the nearest hospital. Contact your local rape crisis agency for help.
In Saratoga County call DVRC's 24 hour hotline 518-584-8188
You are not to blame for being raped.
Whether you were out late, drinking or whatever... you did not cause the rape.
Someone chose to sexually assault you.
The decisions are yours to make:
- You do not have to report the rape to the police to receive help.
- The hospital can provide a sexual assault forensic exam (SAFE) to collect the evidence; you don't have to make a decision about reporting. They will hold the evidence until you decide.
- A rape crisis advocate can talk with you to explain your options and will accompany you to the hospital for a SAFE exam or to the police if you choose to report.
You Are Not Alone